Wednesday, May 2, 2012

[Stylish Steps] Bag Lady

Hi there!

I hope that you are doing well today! I am excited to talk to you about a past accessory love of mine that I have suppressed over the years, mostly due to finances as well as a hectic life.  My husband teases me about the time he first saw me in the college cafeteria our freshman year. I apparently was wearing a plaid dress with red pumps, a hat, and a purse slung across my chest...like a 'tourist'.  I deny having worn the whole ensemble at the same time, but I do remember all those pieces!

I was such a bag afficionado, that when a stylish co-worker of mine stated that she, "Didn't understand why bags were such a big deal", I challenged her to come shopping with me for a Dooney & Bourke I had been eyeing.  I told her that after that shopping trip if she still didn't understand, then she couldn't call herself a true fashionista.

Well, you know how that story ends.  We went shopping, and she ended up buying 2 Dooney's!  She couldn't get enough of bags after that!  It's kind of ironic because that's about the time I slowed down with the bag thing, having young children and all.

I guess I've realized that a good, quality purse can last a lifetime, even if it is in a trendy style (note the teal blue Gucci below which is proably almost 30 years old!).

Explaination of bags noted below, from left to right (kind of).  Will try to feature these with outfits in future posts.
Vera Bradley floral bag - I used it as a diaper bag before they had official diaper bags.
Blue Gucci - My eldest daughter said she 'stole' this from my mom!
Red with purple textured Coach - Love this bag!
Black Quilted Bally - It can look like a "Celine" or "Chanel" bag.
Kate Spade - This was a gift from my lovely sister.
Louis Vuitton - My first LV, a gift for 8th grade graduation from my parents.  I didn't even realize what I had until high school.
Nicaragua Crochet bag - This is from my youngest daughter, who went on a mission trip to Nicaragua last month (so proud of her!).
Fendi - Another bag I forgot I had...it looks new!  My oldest daughter loved it and wants to use it!
Black Coach - Yes, this is a Coach!  I used it all the time!
Matte Gold Small Kelly Bag - I love this to throw small things in for church.
Coach backpack - I used this all the time when the kids were younger and still use it for trips.
Gucci duffle - I have the luggage too, but it is really too impractical to use with rolling luggage now...
Sparkly clutch - I think my mother gave this to me; so pretty, I should use it more!
Not pictured:  Dooney & Bourke, among others... - I can't find them or gave them away!  I had a few...how sad and irresponsible of me!)

I now want to add to my collection again, but will be more responsible and appreciative this time.  With eBay, sales, and thrifting, I am sure that I will be able to get great deals.  I better start saving my pennies!

Here are some on my WishList -

Truly a wish item!  $3295, Sale Price $1295 here.

$276.55 here. Reasonable considering the price of designer satchels or kellys, like a Balenciaga or Hermes.

If I could save my lunch money for this...about $895 at Gucci.com

Still pricey for my budget at this time, but doable at $150, Banana Republic.

I had to add an inexpensive one, of course, from Target at $29.99.


Bags are functional, but they can be an accessory that can add to an outfit and change the look.  Which bag inspired you?  Challenge yourself to find a bag that you love, but fits your budget, and take care of it!  I hope you liked my bag stories, so leave me any comments or suggestions.  Thank you for being a part of my journey!

See you later!

Cheryl






No comments:

Post a Comment