Thursday, April 26, 2012

[Life-Style Forum] Healthy Life-Style

Hi there!

Happy Thursday, which means it's almost Friday and the weekend!  Today I thought I would talk about healthy eating.  Since I work with individuals that have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes, as well as those that are obese, I spend a lot of my day counseling and talking about healthy lifestyle changes.

I try to practice what I preach by eating healthy and exercising.  I have just recently gotten into "Juicing" and it has made a difference in how I feel.  By no means am I a fanatic about it, but I have done this fairly consistently for the last couple of months.  I am also eating more fruits and vegetables and try to eat more whole foods versus processed foods.  I always have rarely eaten fast food or drank soda, since I pretty much drink water.

I do love food, I enjoy cooking (when I'm not exhausted and when the kitchen is clean), and I like to go out to eat (I'm a wanna be Foodie!).

Love my Soy Chai Tea Latte at Starbucks once in awhile, but hot water with fresh squeezed lemon is my daily early morning drink.






























To make Green Lemonade, from Natalia Rose's book, "The Raw Food Detox Diet":  2 Fuji apples, 1 whole head of Romaine lettuce, 2 kale leaves, and 1 whole lemon (I add some fresh ginger when I have some).  They all go into my Breville Juicer for my daily juice. My friend (you know who you are!), told me about this book and the Green Lemonade. I'm going to officially name her my "Life-Style BFF" because we literally bond over food, fashion, and just about anything in life!



Top left:  Carotene Zing Recipe (my concoction):  3 carrots, 1 Granny Smith apple, 1 Fuji apple, 1/2 lemon or lime.  Top right:  Green Lemonade with 5 Kale leaves, Bottom:  Green Lemonade with 2 Kale leaves.



My Green Lemonade in a To-Go-Mug that I usually drink before I eat any breakfast.  Notice the shoes on my desk from my lovely Executive Director.  She gave them to me yesterday, and I LOVE them!  They are from "Just the Right Shoe" and are the Leopard Stiletto and the Zap! shoes.


Isn't she the BEST?!  Shoes:  Jessica Simpson, Outfit: ?)




This is my usual breakfast lately, unless I have an avocado with, yes, honey, and another fruit, usually a banana.  I try to have a large salad with some type of protein for lunch and a regular meal for dinner (I honestly fall apart during the weekend sometimes, but I try...)
I know that there is always discussion on whether vitamins and supplements are necessary, but I'm over 40 (so basically I'm tired and my bones creak), I have vitamin D deficiency, and I have a family history of osteoporosis (brittle bone disease).  Therefore, I take my Multi-Vitamin with Iron, Calcium with Vitamin D, extra Vitamin D3, Glucosamine Chondrotin, Vitamin B6 & B12, Folic Acid, and Omega-3 Capsule, even though I HATE taking pills!


Okay, so I am not above eating dessert, especially my favorite, Red Velvet Cupcakes!  My Executive Director brought this in today, of all days, when I am writing about healthy eating...oh well...as long as it's in moderation ;-).


Oh, and another weakness to my healthy lifestyle, Ginger Elizabeth Chocolates Macarons!  My kids introduced them to me and it was love at first bite.  My favorites are the salty caramel and poppy seed, and their chocolate chip cookies are the BEST!  Oh and GREAT hot chocolate - Classic American, European Sipping, and Oaxacan Spicy Hot, which is my favorite (now I want to go down there...)
So I had to tie this healthy eating post in with shoes, and here it is!  TOMS has a Natalia Rose Linen Ballet Flat (she is the author of "The Raw Food Detox Diet" I referred to earlier).  This is the best photo I could get, but if you look on the TOMS link, they are SO cute!  I am tempted...


So that's my typical workday diet.  Like I said, it is harder to control on the weekends.  I have been known to kill a whole bag of Lay's Kettle Cooked Sharp Cheddar Potato Chips, eat straight from a Haagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry's ice cream carton, or secretly eat a bag of Mini Chewy Sweet Tarts.

But as in life, we sometimes need to let loose a little (or a lot) and just enjoy ourselves.  Just remember to not feel guilty about it and get back on track!  I hope I gave you some good tips.  Feel free to comment or leave suggestions on my blog site.  Thank you for being a part of my journey!

See you later!

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment